-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wednesday Vignette

Wednesday Vignette is hosted each week by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to see her post and those of other participating bloggers.

I couldn't find the location of the image intended for today's post so I quickly searched through some from the past that had never been used and decided to use this.

The spring anticipation of a new beginning or painted concrete that will remain the same from season to season?

Today is the day that the answer to my decision is due and as I was posting, a Mary Chapin Carpenter song played:



"You've been saying for the longest time that the time has come
You've been talking like you're of a mind to get some changing done
Maybe move out of the city, find some quiet little town
Where you can sit out on your back porch step
and watch the sun go down 
No one knows where they belong
The search just goes on and on
For every choice that ends up wrong
Another one's right
A change of scene would sure be great
But the question begs why would you wait 
And be late for your life.

Now you might never find that perfect town
But the sun still sets on a rooftop where the city
Sounds like a Gershwin clarinet
And you might still be searching every face for one you can't forget
Love is out there in a stranger's clothes
You just haven't met him yet
No one knows where they belong
The search just goes on and on
For every day that ends up wrong 
Another one's right
Call it chance or call it fate
Either one is cause to celebrate
And the question now is why would you wait 
Don't be late for your life.

While the anticipation of something new and potentially wonderful is exciting, the thought of leaving something else you truly love and have become a part of makes the decision heart wrenching. So... I've decided to stay. 

20 comments:

  1. Were you considering moving? I can see how it would be hard to leave your house and garden behind, that you've put so much work and heart into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, leaving the house and garden would be difficult but we've done that enough to know that each new place brings with it opportunities to grow in different ways. A great example is the Heronswood/Windcliff transition of Dan Hinkley or the Massachusetts to Bonney Lake move of a dear friend of mine. No, this was about my Sunday job. I'd been offered a position in Seattle to which I was drawn but, although I'd make more money, the time commitment would have also been greater and I'm really attached to where I am.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I wonder the exact same thing. I've been way behind with blog reading of late so presumably I've missed you talking about it.
    I vowed last time I moved home I would not go through it again but recently my mind has been wandering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was about my Sunday job. I didn't say anything before because very few people knew I had even thought about a change.

      Delete
  3. You're killing me!!! Work or home, home or work.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm out of the loop..... What's the big decision?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether to stay in a Sunday workplace/church/home with people that I love in a smallish town or to take a position at a church in the big city with equally wonderful people for a bit more income but also a bit more time commitment and a little different style from where I currently work.

      Delete
    2. Follow your heart, my friend. :o)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you are comfortable with your decision. Gosh, I remember many years ago when I was feeling trapped... I purchased some traveler's checks and stuck them in a drawer so that I had to the ability to take off suddenly if necessary. Turned out I didn't have to, but having the option was comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a bit shaky about the decision but am glad for the closure. When I posted this, I'd not yet sent the email and was cryptic here so that I could change my mind at the last minute. Really a heart wrenching decision.

      Delete
  6. That song was a "God wink," maybe? ;-) Sounds like you've decided which fork in the road to follow. Peace and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and several others leaning toward moving on popped up through the day. Maybe I made the wrong decision but am convinced that even so I can be used where I am.

      Delete
  7. You are riddling us. Most of us can only guess at your reason for deciding. But you decided to stay. That much is concrete, like your eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed up the opportunity for a new beginning in a different Sunday job for something that was comfortable, close, and familiar. It's one of those moments that I'll always wonder "what if" about.

      Delete
  8. Be at peace with your decision and enjoy what you have, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, Kris. Now maybe I can get back to more regular blog reading!

      Delete
  9. Yeah, what Kris said. John and I talk about moving all the time. Although I'm usually up for an adventure, I really do like my life here. If push actually came to shove, it would be a terribly difficult decision for me - I think I can empathize with your difficulty quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arriving at a decision will take the weight and stress off your shoulders. There are "what ifs" all around, concerning decisions big and small. They'll drive you nuts: don't let them. Your decision IS the right one for you at this moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great line: "Don't be late for your life." Didn't know this song, so thanks. Sorry you had to suffer, but it's nice to be wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.