-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wednesday Vignette

Wednesday Vignette is hosted each week by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to see her Vignette this week along with links to those of other participating bloggers.

My vignette this week comes from my visit to Earthwise Architectural Salvage (post to come.)  A year or so ago, I read in the newspaper about an old middle school being renovated and much of the older furniture being brought to Earthwise.   I'd not so long ago spent some time at that school while working on my master's degree.  I remember thinking that the auditorium, especially, was a grand example of the grace and scale of schools built in the early part of the twentieth century.  Here are a few of the seats from that very auditorium.  Who knows how many performances they've witnessed over the years, how many young lives transformed by learning, by the arts, by ideas.  Rows of lockers have served their time as well.  Will any of these find a new purpose or is this one last stop before the end?

11 comments:

  1. You don't need a wall of gym lockers in your garden? I think you do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat on similar auditorium seats last mid-century. Gilbert and Sullivan was about as arty as our school managed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture the saddest thing. I wish there was a way to follow these rows of chairs, to see how they get used in their new life. I hope for a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks like a fun place to shop! Looking forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool stuff, I hope there second life is as purposeful as their first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memories, memories. Someone will snatch these up...I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those chairs, they remind me of my high school. Hope someone finds a good use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those seats - no padding! I must say, I'd have gotten excited about those lockers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What, you didn't bring any home with you? I guess they wouldn't hold up well out in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like things from the days when people took the time to make functional things beautiful as well. My school never had chairs like these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing chairs, Peter. Do you want them for your garden?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.