-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Out in the Greenhouse

Things in the greenhouse slow down a bit in the winter but with the days growing longer, there are a few things happening.

Paper white and 'Angels in Water' narcissus are perfuming the air. 



Jasmine vines blooming and pumping out their own strong fragrance.  It's really smelly out there right now.

First of the amaryllis (Hippeastrum) to bloom.  There's another bloom stalk coming up as well.  This should look lovely still on Valentine's Day.
 Kalanchoe uniflora 'Coral Bells'


It's pretty full but soon a lot of these will be traveling outside for their annual summer vacation. 

Alan (It's not work, It's Gardening)  inspired me to try and winter over  my papyrus instead of getting a new one each year.  It looks like it'll make it through with flying colors!


Tillandsias seem very happy here, perhaps because they get drenched weekly in the winter, more often in the summer with a hose.


Spanish moss, also a tillandsia, seems to like this treatment as well. 



This poor indoor space gets ignored except on weekends during the darkest part of the year even though there are lots of lights to illuminate it at night.


Pregnant Onion seems to enjoy living with all of her children.  You know how kids are these days, you just can't get them to leave the nest.


Like magic, another amaryllis is popping up. 

While overhead, a brugmansia trumpets in the returning of the light. 



I hope you enjoyed spending some time exploring inside with me today. 

27 comments:

  1. My Tillandsias have to stay indoors, but they dry out too quickly. Great solution.. it's a fabulous space you have there. I can almost smell the jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fragrance is heavenly! I have a few tillandsias in the house and they do fairly well if I soak them in water for about thirty minutes every week and give them a light mist with an atomizer around mid week.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing the greenhouse -- hope to see it in person someday, as I suspect the awesomeness increases exponentially when experienced!

    (The only way to kill papyrus over winter is if they dry out I've found)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dry out or freeze of course

      Delete
    2. Good to know about the papyrus as I'll be really happy this summer to already have a nice large plant. You are welcome to visit any time, just give me a few minutes notice so that I can sweep away a path.

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely and lush out there! I haven't been out to my greenhouse in days and days. I'm sure everything is thirsty. Is that black pot under the Amaryllis a top hat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been seeing the greenhouse on weekends. Amazing how much happens in a week! Under the Amaryllis is a blown glass top hat that I found in a junk store. I still don't know what to do with it so it's in the greenhouse acting as a planter for now.

      Delete
  4. Always nice to have a look around your greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very happy plants and with all that money you save wintering over you can buy even more plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plant buying has to slow down now that there is no space left. Of course, some plants might find new homes to make room for newer crushes...

      Delete
  6. What a delightful space! The second amaryllis is occupying in a very unique pot. Doesn't the Brugmansia ever stopped flowering? You must not like the jasmine scent if you describe it as "smelly" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chava, I enjoy being there. That's a glass top hat that I found at a fea market. I'm not sure what to do with it but if it's not in the attic or basement and can hold a plant, it does.

      Delete
  7. My favorite thing, visiting greenhouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see what others do with their indoor spaces.

      Delete
  8. My goodness, Peter, what did you do before you had a greenhouse?!
    What a fun kaleidoscope of plants and pots and whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house was kind of full of plants in the winter and I used a little round room with huge stained glass windows as a greenhouse.

      Delete
  9. It looks fabulous...is it warm enough to eat brunch and hang with your plants on the weekend? The Spanish moss is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you turn the thermostat up or wear a sweater or the weather is nice enough, it's quite comfortable for brunch.

      Delete
  10. 'Coral Bells' flowers appeal to me...but then I never met a Kalanchloe I didn't like. Do some of these blooming lovelies get ferried into the house to enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Coral Bells' came from Marbott's Nursery in Portland. Usually the blooming things stay in the greenhouse and I enjoy them there. I suppose if a guest were coming over to the house something might come inside.

      Delete
  11. Fabulous. Your plant collection is so amazing! Is it warm enough out there for you to sit for a spell, read a book, and breathe the clean air? Or do you keep it cooler than the house? It looks so inviting! Oh, I see Laurin was thinking the same way. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are usually so mild that a sweater makes being out there quite comfortable. I try to keep it at about 50 degrees. Like the garden, I don't sit there much but find things to do like watering, tending the plants, hanging lights, plants or some new junk store find, etc.

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy a look in your greenhouse. You have so much going on in there, what a delight it is. I particularly love the Brugmansia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I am in love your greenhouse. So many plants to see. I have a series on my blog where I get to know more about the people behind the plants and get them to share a few photos of their plants. I would love to see your greenhouse on there. Please consider :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.